Sunday, May 27, 2007

Hypermobility

I went to see a physiotherapist recently with a pain in my hip/knee/foot that occurs when I have been walking around for a while. And I found out that I have 'hypermobility' is when some or all of your joints have an unusually large range of movement. It occurs because connective tissue in the joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments are more loose and stretchy than in most people. This means the joints are move flexible and can extend further. Because of this flexibilty, it means that the joint can get out of alignment and put pressure on the joint in the wrong way.

Apparently lots of people go through life with 'hypermobility' and do not even know that they have it. It is only if something changes e.g. loss of muscle strength, that you notice it (because the muscles help hold the joint in place). In fact, there are some advantages of having hypermobility: alot of athletes, or muscians have found advantages of having joints that can flex that bit further. A tennis player has an extended reach, or a violinist/guitarist can flex their wrist to reach further. So, if I can get this back in check it is actually not a bad thing

However, the fact that I have put on 15kg since arriving in the UK (!) and that my muscle tone has probably deteriorated somewhat are both contributing to why I am now experiencing some discomfort with it.

So from Friday, I have exercises to do every second day which are about building core stability, and I need to take up swimming again (a good exercise because it does not put pressure on my joints). He has also recommended pilates classes.

My body seems to rebel against me being bad: I have to clean the house regularly because I get an allergic reaction to housedust and hayfever. I have had to give up smoking as it was affecting my circulation. In order to give up smoking I have had to practically give up alcohol as if I get tipsy then I would need a ciggie. And now, I have to get fit or otherwise I am going to be in pain/have trouble walking!

So I'll let you know how I get on. I have a big job ahead of me.. 15 kg to lose and also seriously improved core stability. Here we go!


No comments: